Experiential Opportunities Fund
Western University Student Experience is providing this experiential opportunity fund to support individual Western students in undergraduate and graduate programs participating in events, conferences and awards ceremonies relevant to their program of study. The chance to participate in activities offers a tremendous opportunity for academic development, network building, and broadening the professional potential of students in any discipline or level of study.
Additional requests for opportunities not outlined above may be considered.
Value of Grants
Funding will be provided to individual students up to a maximum of $500. It is expected that the applicant will cover some portion of the costs incurred in attending the conference or undertaking the research.
Proposals for funding under this program will be accepted throughout the year. Ideally, students should submit their proposal 8-10 weeks prior to their intended departure date. Please also complete applicable Pre-Departure Modules on OWL in advance and attach certificate(s) of completion with your application.
Eligible applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Be a registered full-time equivalent Western student in an undergraduate or graduate program at the time of the activity
• Priority is given to students who have not previously received funding from Student Experience or another department at Western or an Affiliated University College
• Be in compliance with Western’s Safety Abroad policies (see MAPP 1.53)
• Complete Western International OWL Pre-Departure Modules 1) Health and Safety and 2) Cultural Adjustment. If travelling within the U.S. or Canada, only complete module 1) Health and Safety*
• Save and attach your certificate(s) of completion to be submitted with your application
• Review and monitor the Government of Canada’s DFATD travel advisory for the location to which you are travelling
• Notify Student Experience if the location is higher than a Level 2 (Exercise a High Degree of Caution) at any point before departure
• Ensure you are registered with Western’s Safety Away Database
• Be in good academic standing
• Field camps, tours, faculty-led/arranged trips, activities related to academic coursework or degree requirements, or any group activities are not eligible for funding
• Not intended to support for credit, transfer credit, or not-for-credit courses or course work
*Please note that funding is conditional on your participation in the conference/event listed on your application. To ensure the funds are being used appropriately, we request that you submit your receipts for expenses incurred during or relating to the event/conference up to $500. Successful applicants will be reimbursed up to $500 upon approval of submitted receipts.
Successful applicants should be aware that under the Revenue Canada Income Tax Act, travel/research grants are considered taxable income. A T4-A form will be issued to recipients involved in such activities.
Western University will consider all complete proposals that meet the eligibility requirements, and will endeavour to inform applicants of the results of their application via e-mail within 4-6 weeks. Student Experience may ask for additional confirmation of information provided.
Responsibilities of Applicants
Successful candidates must:
• Meet/Complete all of the eligibility requirements listed above
• Follow up with Student Experience to confirm registration in Western's Safety Away Database
• Follow up on their experience with a 150 word impact statement
• Submit receipts for event/conference related expenses for reimbursement up to $500
Failure to fulfill any of these responsibilities may result in funding being withdrawn.
For further Information, please contact:
Director of Administration
Western Student Experience
Western Student Services Building Room 2120
Personal information in connection with this application is collected under the authority of Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy. This information is used to process your application and decide on your eligibility for the Western Student Experience Experiential Opportunities Fund. Once an amount has been granted, Western University may disclose certain information to the donor of the award, provincial funding organizations and/or Western University academic Faculties or departments/schools.
This program will be subject to ongoing review and revision to reflect Western University’s Student Experience strategy and available resources. Last revised: April 26, 2016.